Housing Frequently Asked Questions
Am I Eligible?
To live on-campus at Tyler Junior College, students must be a TJC enrolled student taking a minimum of 12 semester hours (3 hours during a Summer School session). If a resident drops below this requirement they will need to notify the Residential Life and Housing office. A student enrolled in less than 12 semester hours may be asked to leave the Residence Hall.
To move into an assigned Residence Hall room, all Housing charges must be paid in full, or arrangements to pay must be completed. Payments can be made through the TJC Cashier’s Office located in the White Administration building. There are 2 ways to pay the Housing charges.
- Out of Pocket or Private Pay – the complete amount paid before move-in
- Financial Aid - provide Housing with a copy of the Financial Aid award letter
What is the Cost to Live On-Campus?The semester prices are for room, required meal plan, water, electricity, basic cable and internet access.
The cost for the Louise H. & Joseph Z. Ornelas Residential Complex will be $3,200.00 per semester.
The cost for Bateman, Claridge, Holley, Vaughn, Sledge and Hudnall Halls will be $2,200.00 per semester.
The cost for Lewis and West Halls will be $2,125.00 per semester.
Does the Application guarantee me a space?
No, it does not. Placement is done on a first come, first placed basis after the applicant’s Housing file is complete. Completing the Housing applications process does not guarantee a residential space on campus. If Halls are full and a waiting list is established, priority on a Housing waiting list is based on the date a student's housing file is complete.
To have a completed Housing application file and be eligible to be placed an applicant must:
- Be admitted to Tyler Junior College through the Admissions Office and receive an A-number from Admissions.
- Complete and submit a separate on-line Housing application.
- Make the $100 one-time, non-refundable Processing and Application Fee. This can be done on-line with a credit card or at the Cashier's office on campus.
- Financial aid and/or scholarships will not pay this fee.
- THIS FEE DOES NOT RESERVE A HALL SPACE.
- Complete and submit the Background Check form. The form can be downloaded, completed, signed, and faxed to the Housing Office. A background check is processed for all students living on-campus.
- Submit proof of the required bacterial meningitis vaccination. This can be submitted through Admissions or the Housing office. You need the meningitis vaccine (MCV4) before you can register for classes at TJC. This is a new requirement passed by the Texas Legislature (Senate Bill 1107, 82nd Legislature). Without the vaccine, you CANNOT enter college or live in a Residence Hall.