Dance Program Purpose
The primary purpose of the Dance Program is to provide students seeking associate degrees or transfer credit in dance with technical training and performance experience. Additional purposes are to provide enrichment opportunities for all students and to offer cultural enrichment to the Tyler community through presentation of varied public performances.
Handbook for Dance Majors
Ballet: These courses emphasize proper body placement as it applies to the technique of classical ballet. Ballet vocabulary and proper execution of classical ballet exercises and steps are stressed, along with a knowledge of the history and development of ballet in Europe and the United States.
Modern Dance: This course explores the technique of Modern Dance by using structures, alignment, breathing/relaxation and dynamics of movement. Various styles of movement are presented and used in class.
Jazz: This course focuses on technique of contemporary music and its effect on style, rhythm and dynamics, in both solo and group work, and employs the many elements of dance that comprise current movement styles.
Tap: This course emphasizes technique. The class introduces rhythm and coordination exercises that develop into extended choreography pieces using past and present elements of tap dance.
The Nutcracker ballet is an annual Tyler tradition that is performed on campus by TJC students and community dancers with our last cast at its all time high of 122.
Two abbreviated school shows are performed for school age children, homeschooled students, and nursing home residents. We try to educate and give back to the community by hosting school shows in which those who would otherwise not get the opportunity are able to receive education in the cultural arts as well as experience the holiday “Nutcracker” tradition.
During the performance audience members receive an inside look into the backstage process of the production and a curriculum is distributed to schools prior to the performance. Professional guest artists offer master classes and perform alongside the cast members. In 2008 and in 2010, “The Nutcracker” was performed in a successful collaboration with the East Texas Symphony Orchestra.
- Rehearsal Schedule
- Costume Fitting Schedule
- Nutcracker Performance Dates:
- November 30th - 7:30pm
- December 1st - 2pm and 7:30pm
- December 2nd - 2pm
- Tickets: $12 for adults, $9 for children under 12 and TJC students with ID. Tickets go on sale November 1st.
Student/Faculty Recital is a performing opportunity for the Music and Dance Department faculty and students and includes vocalists, instrumentalists and dancers. Students have the opportunity to showcase their original choreography in a variety of dance genres. Dance students can elect to choreograph their own works and gain behind-the-scenes experience. The Student/Faculty Recital is held every spring and open to the East Texas Community.
- Student/Faculty Recital April 19, 2013
- 7:30pm at Wise Auditorium
- Ticket Prices: $5.00 general admission, Students free with valid ID
- Tickets will be on sale April 1st, 2013.
Dancefest is an annual performance held in early May. Dancefest features TJC college dance students and TJC Academy of Dance students in a varied program incorporating ballet, jazz, tap, hip hop, and modern choreography.
The first act of the performance includes a portion of a famous classical ballet. The second act of the performance includes a story-line encompassing multiple dance genres.
- DanceFest Performance Dates: May 3rd & 4th, 2013
7:30 PM, Wise Auditorium on the main TJC Campus.
- Tickets: $5 general admission; can be purchased at the TJC box office (903-510-2672) or at the door.
- Tickets will be on sale beginning April 8th, 2013.
- Driving Directions to TJC & Campus Map
Scholarship for Dance Students Information
Scholarships are awarded to deserving students each year. Awarded monies are determined by financial need, work ethic during audition, and the potential for improvement in technique and performance skills.
- When: April 27, 2013
- Time: 9 to 10:30 a.m.
- Where: OHPE 125
- Bring ballet and jazz shoes.
- Scholarship auditions are held every April.
- Videotape auditions are accepted. Please submit a 1 minute ballet piece and a 1 minute jazz piece.
- Send videotape and letter of recommendation to
- Attn: Justine Pojanowski
Tyler Junior College
P.O. Box 9020
Tyler, TX 75711
- Please call 903-510-2483 for more information
- Ballet Class Attire: For Women - Black leotard, pink tights, ballet slippers, and hair pulled back.
- Ballet Class Attire: For Men - White shirt, black jazz pants, and black ballet slippers.
- Jazz, Modern, Tap Attire: Loose fitting clothing, and tap and/or jazz shoes.
|Lara K. Smith |
|Department Chair |
|Office Info: Wise WCA-A | firstname.lastname@example.org | (903) 510-3242 |
|Advising Contact for this Specific Department: ||(903) 510-2425 |